Wednesday, May 13, 2009

polperro.

So much for my faithful blogging every night. I'm just too tired when I get home!!

Okay so Tuesday was fabulous!! We had class in the morning (which was awesome by the way. It was British Mysteries. I love it! Our teacher is awesome, and our class discussions are fun. This week our assignment is to read Sherlock Holmes - which I've never read before! And surprisingly - I really like!! Its pretty fun to read) After class we headed to The National Gallery. It was so amazing. I absolutely loved it. I love seeing paintings that I have studied in class and written papers about. I love knowing about the artists lives and the stories behind the paintings and the things that are interesting in each. I really love art - I never really had a huge appreciation for it when I would see it in a text book, but to see it right infront of you is definitely thrilling.

Tuesday we also bought tickets to go to Bath on Saturday! We got a discount because there are 4 of us going. We have to be at the train station a littttle earlier tan I would have liked :] but it will give us the whole day over there. I'm super excited. For lunch we found this cute bagel/sandwich place. It was a TOTAL disappointment. I swear, we have the WORST luck with restaurants. The only good one so far has been Nandos. We always pick the worst ones. So we ordered water - which we have come to find out is pretty taboo over here. The lady brings us mini bottles of Evian water and tries to charge us 2 pounds! Not even full size!! lame. So we asked her if we could just have tap water - which apparently "they dont have". Then she was upset at us and took a long time to bring our food - which really wasn't all that good. Going to restaurants over here is such a weird experience. It's so different. There is no customer service anywhere it seems! And nobody cares about presentation - the food may taste okay but 9 times out of 10 it wont look appetizing or pretty. you can FORGET the garnish. it's non-existent :]

Tuesday night we went to Lion King. It was pretty cool! Not quite what I was expecting...But it was a fun show. The colors were FANTASTIC! I loved them. And the costumes were really interesting as well. I was a little disappointed with Simba...his voice just wasnt powerful and he kind of sounded like a girl..and the choreography was a little off as well...for example in the song "I Just Can't Wait to be King" the little Simba gets down and starts doing the worm...yeah...a little weird. But it was a fun show. We experienced - for the first time - good customer service while we were at this show. It was amazing! we sat in front of this group of teenagers for the first half. They were talking on their cell phones (no joke), talking to each other and just being flat out obnoxious. So we went to the usher at intermission and asked them to tell the kids to be quiet. Not only did they do that, but then they moved us to better seats! It was amazing!

Wednesday we went left for our first weekend trip. Our first stop was Polperro. It is my absolute favorite place that we have been. Before I left, my entire family was telling me how amazing Polperro was and how it was their favorite place. now I can join the club! Its a teensy little fishing village. We climbed all over the cliffs and hiked up the side of one of the hills. It was so so much fun. I'll put on pictures as soon as we get back to London. We were going into all of the shops in the town. At the last shop we went into, these little watercolors int he back caught my eye. They're so bright and cute. I loved them! Of course, I had to buy 4 of them. My first souvenirs! Exciting. They're so so beautiful. I love them. I think I'm going to frame them and put them in our bathroom when we get our new apartment. I'm stoked. When we got back on the bus I remembered my mom telling me that last time she was in Polperro she bought watercolors too!! It made me laugh. I wonder if they're the same!

We stopped for the night at a place called Falmouth. Our hotel is right on the beach. It's super cool. We went for a super long walk last night in the pouring rain. It was fun though - we saw a pier that had a hundred or more yachts and sail boats. There was also a navy ship. It was pretty sweet!!

Today we're off to Tintagel. It should be a fabulous day!!

1 comment:

the artist's daughter said...

my own little heaven on earth. Love it up for me. i love you and we miss you tons.